Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind ★★★★★

1861. Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) is in love with Ashley Wilkes (Leslie Howard), and pines for him to love her back. Rhett Butler (Clark Gable) witnesses Ashley refusing Scarlett's advances in a room and makes his grand secret entrance. Butler has feelings for Scarlett, but she doesn't reciprocate.

Some random thoughts:

They sure say "Fiddily Dee" a lot in this film. Was this a popular phrase at the time? Sort of the 1939 version of "whatever" -- a response to nonsense. Those dresses! Wow, they are beautiful but must have been a real hassle to move around, especially that wedding-like white gown that Scarlett wears in the opening scenes of the film.</li><li>Colonial style homes ... just love the design</li><li>The musical score is epic. It permeates and yets accents and strengthens the drama around almost every scene. They used a lot more music here than movies use today, even blockbusters, and it works well</li><li>Nice shot in the face for that yankee, Scarlett! A little gore very quickly cut away, is enough to tell us that soldier really shouldn't have entered Scarlett's house.

Many consider this to be the greatest movie ever made. It's definitely a 5-star film for me but the greatest film for me is the one that I want to keep watching every year. This one? I've seen it a couple times and it's an amazing movie, but I don't look forward to rewatching it over and over again like some do. I would like to see it in the theater someday, Recommended.