Little Women ★★★★

Writer Jo, musician Beth, painter Amy and Meg are sisters growing up in a poor family with their father away fighting the war.

Video Review - just left the theater (no spoilers)

The movie opens with a scene of Jo taking submitting a story to a cranky, venerable editor who crossed out parts of it and said it was too wordy, but he still bought it "with editing."

The main character is big sister Jo and how she and her mama played by Laura Dern, but there are pretty meaty parts by the other sisters. I found the narrative structure a little confusing to get into. It bounces around from present to past, sometimes multiple times within a single scene/arc which is unusual and disorienting, but ultimately very effective as we move toward the ending.

Meryl Streep has a supporting role. Wish there had been more of her. Laura Dern is really good in this.

I wasn't that interested in seeing this movie, especially on Christmas morning, but we're seeing Spies in Disguise with our grandchildren later today, so I took a chance and turned out really enjoying the story. Haven't read the book so don't know how good the adaptation is of the book. This turned out to be one of my top 10 films of 2019, probably toward the bottom of the list, but it was very entertaining. Recommended.

Todd Russell liked these reviews