Rocketman

Rocketman ★★★★

When it comes to musical biopics, this one takes a creative way of telling the story at least partly through the songs and the time they were created. Taron Egerton. You'll be singing and dancing along with Elton's greatest hits throughout the film. It's a strained linear storyline, but fun and frolicy.

Elton John's story probably could have been a mini-series, because he's had so much happen over his decade long career. In 2018, he embarked on a farewell tour so he could stay home and spend time with his children, which after you've watched this will make a lot of sense. He's struggled with addictions and issues surrounding being accepted and loved so it only makes sense that he doesn't want his children to grow up that way.

I also enjoyed how this film handles Elton John's homosexuality. Similar to Bohemian Rhapsody that the viewer gets to see the point of view of a gay man at a time when it wasn't as socially acceptable as it is in 2020, reminding us that sexual discrimination existed in a major way at one point in history. The years when AIDS were killing many people, predominantly the gay community, Elton John parlayed his fame and notoriety into helping to combat the disease. He's raised over $450 million to date for this cause. Such a great cause for all of humanity.

The movie worked for me on a number of levels. It was an entertaining story told in an inventive and often clever way. It is filled with great Elton John songs, many of which we've all heard. An outstanding biopic with a wonderful lead actor that really only gets one criticism from me: there was too material to cover any one subject in great depth. Maybe this should have been or still could be an Elton John mini-series? Every episode could focus on one song like Dolly Parton did recently. Recommended.

Todd Russell liked these reviews