Scoob! ★★½

I've literally grown up on Scooby-Doo and his friends in the Mystery Machine. From the original 1969 animated series Scooby Doo Where Are You? (my favorite) through the reboots, various animated movies and the live action movies.

Picked up Scoob on VOD for $24.99 as these animated movies with children tend to be rewatch-friendly. I wish Trolls 2 would have offered the option to pay $5 more and own the movie right away, thank you Warner Bros.!

What drew me to this new movie, besides an opportunity to watch with our grandchildren, was a younger Scooby Doo meeting his buddy, Shaggy, getting his first color with the SD initials and being sucked into a new adventure with the Mystery Machine gang: Fred, Velma and Daphne helping to solve the case. I was hoping for an exciting mystery to solve, food-related fun with Scoob and Shaggy and some wild, zany chases along the way.

The opening scene on Venice Beach with Scooby causing mischief in search of -- yes, food -- and leading to his first meeting with Shaggy. Those two always crack me up, they are always hungry!

There's some noticeable technology nods in the current day. Shaggy listening to podcasts, the team actively using cell phones, a mention of Netflix and so on. Nice to see Scooby Doo in 2020.

One of my favorite parts of the original series were the guest stars: Sonny & Cher, The Harlem Globtrotters and more. Who do we get in this movie? Simon Cowell! Ok, I guess that kind of works.

The adventure itself is a bit all over the place and not a very satisfying mystery (this is a big part of the fun of the original show!), but follows the original formula enough to satisfy older fans like me and keep the attention of younger children. Our grandchildren were more tuned into this than Trolls World Tour.

I've seen other reviews saying this wasn't very good and it's not on par with the original show -- that's a pretty high expectation, but it's a decent enough adventure.

I liked it better than the live action Scooby-Doo films. Yeah, that's not a huge compliment, but Scoob fans will find enough here to be (mostly) entertained. Those who didn't and don't like Scooby Doo aren't going to be won over by this film. Giving it 2.5 stars overall.