Taxi Driver ★★★★★

This is definitely in my top three for Martin Scorsese and Robert DeNiro films. Travis Bickle, taxi driver and narrator observing the slime and scum of society slowly descends into what appears to be madness ... or is it?

This film is awesome on so many levels. In 2019, it was Joker, Joker, Joker everywhere, but Joker borrows heavily from this film. I liked Joker, but Taxi Driver drove home the antisocial character-driven tale first and better, some 40+ years earlier. The other Scorsese film that many have said is perhaps even more strongly inspiration for Joker is King of Comedy.

If you are a Scorsese and DeNiro fan, and even if you're not, this is a must see. All the little nuances and clever film touches. The gritty lighting, the violence and crime -- all portraying a night time setting that is scarily real. The story within the story, the newspaper clippings, the somber and subtle DeNiro narration, I could (and probably will some other day) go on and on. This film is brilliant. Recommended.