Terminator: Dark Fate ★★½

Came into this with 10/10 anticipation, watching in Regal RPX for the first time. Sound and picture quality was fantastic, as for the movie?

Video Review - Just left the theater (no spoilers)

I was soooo looking forward to Linda Hamilton returning to put her stamp on this movie but she's sort of a third wheel to the three newer, younger players. Same with Arnold Schwarzengger who plays Carl, a T-800 who's been living in the burbs for quite some time.

A bunch of fights with the black Rev-2 Terminator played by Gabriel Luna. And yes, the Rev-2 is tricked out badass tech (where have we seen this before? Eyeroll), but how many times can we watch him get his butt kicked, turn into black liquid metal and turn back into Gabriel Luna, pristine condition, ready to do battle again.

The action scenes are good, but not anything that fresh or groundbreaking. The story tries hard to be presenting a new alternative timeline to the Skynet days, but I'd rather have the Skynet storyline than what was presented.

I think the biggest problem is that Terminator was a two-act play and we got those two acts in 1984 and 1991, and everything else is just trying to relive the former glory. I was excited to have James Cameron back but that dissipated when I heard he never even visited the set and only did some screen treatment and a some behind the scenes editing (battling with director Tim Miller in a bit of a clash of directorial egos). Argh.

Seems like after seeing the film these concerns were warranted. It is just another in a long line of Terminator sequels that don't live up to the glory of the first two. I just couldn't get fully immersed into the story. I kept trying and trying. It's like you see a building but can't find the door to enter.

And what's up with the beginning being so lousy? They should have just started with the scene where Sarah Connor comes in -- the scene on the bridge in the trailer. That should have been Cameron's first editing cut.

Sigh, I'm just disappointed in what I wanted this to be not materializing. I'm not even sure if James Cameron had directed this it would have mattered. A two-act play. Stick a fork in it. Not recommended.

Nice to Meat You, I'm Todd liked these reviews