The Empire Strikes Back ★★★★½

Some cite this as their favorite Star Wars film. It's the second act in what was originally a three act play (technically George Lucas wrote 9 parts, he started in medias res and then took parts of 7,8 and 9 for 5 and 6. -- yeah, it's confusing). Anyway, this has the most drama of the original trilogy and has a finale with some truly shocking reveals. It is what you'd expect from the second act in a three act play. This is setting up the third act.

I loved this film, but it didn't give me as much wonder and excitement as the first one. It is still an incredible film, don't get me wrong and definitely left me wanting to see the final movie in the trilogy. The tension with Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader rises, we get a peek into a possible side romance between Han Solo and Princess Leia and some exciting new characters are revealed.

It's a great sequel, one of the greatest ever in fact, but I was not as overly awed by Luke going to the Dagobah system and training with Yoda. Loved the cloud city with Lando Calrissian and the icy Hoth world. All in all, not quite a repeat in my admiration for the first one, but close. A half star away seems about right. Still very recommended. You have to see at least the original trilogy of Star Wars movies to understand what made these movies so awesome and iconic and spawneed a franchise worth many billions of dollars.

Todd Russell liked this review