The Invisible Man ★★★½

Cecilia (Elisabeth Moss) escapes from an abusive relationship with her ex-husband Adrian. She receives news that Adrian has died and she will inherit millions as long as she doesn't have any trouble with the law. And so begins her worst abuse as she is stalked by something she can't see.

Video Review - just left theater (no spoilers)

This is a very curious take on The Invisible Man. The tech side of how Adrian becomes The Invisible Man is barely covered. So much that I'm not spoiling by guessing here. There is a black suit that looks like a bunch of suction cups that, once worn, must twist light or something so that the wearer becomes invisible.

Cecilia believes Adrian is still stalking her, but she's believed to be crazy because nobody can see him. So in this retelling of the story, it's more of an abusive invisible stalker tale and you know what? It works. A lot of time is spent on what Cecila experiences, how disorienting and scary this would be. The viewer is captivated by the experience, engrossed, unable to turn away to see where the invisible assault begins again.

The other scary part is whether or not the stalker is there. We don't know most of the time throughout the movie, so it just plays with viewers minds too. This is the best horror movie of 2020 so far and surprised me with how well the classic Universal monster was handled.

Downsides? There are a few rapid twists at the end that are a bit head scratchy and the length of the film is probably 20 minutes too long. That shouldn't be enough to sway you away from seeing this. Props to Blumhouse and Universal. We saw this on opening night and the theater was full. Well worth seeing. Recommended.

Todd Russell liked these reviews