The Lovebirds ★★

Jibran (Kumail Nanjiani) and Leilani (Issa Rae) star in this romcom showing a couple in their courting phase, then four months later accidentally hitting a pedestrian on a bike. The man gets up, is ok, and frantically rides away. Another man jumps into the car and takes over and hits the pedestrian again. Yes, this is the same scene from the trailer and, it's one of the best scenes in the movie besides the "take the grease!" line where Jibran gets kicked by a horse instead.

For a romcom to work, the couple has to have some chemistry and they do, but it's more friendly chemistry than romantic. I never really felt convinced throughout this film that this was a couple truly in love with each other, thus the title of the film is a bit misleading. Instead, it was lame sketch after another, attempting to make me laugh. I never laughed at any of the scenes. I did smile a few times, so it's not completely unfunny. It tries.

That's the main problem with this movie: it tries way too hard. Comedy should come more naturally. Everything is a little much right down to Issa Rae's way too white teeth and kisses between Rae and Nanjiani that come off as flat. Where's the spark from Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks? Totally MIA.

The runtime and editing is good. The film flies and you never get bored watching, and yet never get fully divested either. Ho-hum. I don't think this would have done very well in the theaters. Not recommended.

Todd Russell liked these reviews