The Shawshank Redemption

The Shawshank Redemption ★★★★★

Based on a novella inside Stephen King's Different Seasons comes this outstanding adaptation involving Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) sent to prison for killing his wife. He claims he is innocent, but then all prisoners are innocent and we come to understand life inside prison in the late 40s through the 50s and 60s. Andy befriends Red (Morgan Freeman), the guy who can get things for others and their friendship begins with a request for a rock hammer.

Stephen King is known for scary stories, but he's perhaps equally as skilled at telling stories like this. Compelling dramas with deep, complex characters. By the end we're rooting for Andy and Red and redemption inside the walls of Shawshank. There is a reason this film has over a 9 rating on IMDB and countless positive reviews. It's a solid, entertaining film that holds up well to rewatching. There is a twist to the story too, which I won't spoil here, but for those who haven't read the story first, you'll likely be surprised where the story heads. I like stories that keep us guessing. Highly recommended.

Todd Russell liked these reviews