The Babysitter

The Babysitter ★★

The Babysitter is such a roller-coaster of a film.  Samara Weaving does such a good job of being like-able and charming that when her true self is revealed, it’s not only jarring, but kind of off-putting.

McG has never been known to be a subtle director, and his work here is about what you’d expect from him.  Loud, chaotic, cringey, and lacks restraint.  I will say, I didn’t hate this, but I think if someone else had directed it, it may have been a better film.

I was also annoyed by the over sexualization of women in this.  Samara Weaving and Bella Thorn making out went on way to long and Bella Thorn complaining about her boobs and how no one will want to motorboat her was cringey and unnecessary.  Especially since both the writer and director are men.  It’s more of a sexualized fantasy of women than actually writing and directing real characters.

Come to think of it, I feel like everything about this film is one-note.  Maybe even tone-deaf.  It feels kind of gross and degrading, yet it kept my attention.  That’s probably the nicest thing I can say about it.  It kept my attention, despite being a cringey experience.