Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence ★★★★½

Forgive me for saying so, but this was so much better than the first movie of the entire franchise. I fucking loved it. I agree, the first GITS had a far more major impact and although I loved it too, I never really understood it. Unlike this one, which also requires some reflecting and thinking, it's easier to interpret the hidden messages Mamoru Oshii is trying to convey throughout the whole film thru the existence of AI at this era, the human philosophy, his ideologies, and whatnot.

Honestly, I could do it without the repetitive quotes about philosophic notions, but that didn't stop me from loving it. The concept of the film is pretty simple, but it becomes difficult to understand once it's tangled with futuristic technologies, and that's why I think, it takes more than one viewing for one to fully comprehend this movie.

Aside from that, the animation is pretty decent but incomparable to the first movie, which was stunning. The CGI in several scenes was quite the killjoy though and some of the parade sequences gave me flashbacks to the psychedelic parade in Satoshi Kon's Paprika.

Aimuni liked this review