Kong: Skull Island

Kong: Skull Island ★★★★

The science vs. military conflict has been a theme in monster movies for as long as there have been monster movies. You can tell a lot about the state of a society, at any given point in history, by which side wins (and how decisively) the scientists or the soldiers?
This film leans on the side of science, but for all the "subtle" anti-war nods this film throws around, Kong still ends up defeating the big bad beast using the propeller from a warship, with a hefty assist from a .50 caliber machine gun and a nautical flare.
So violence still wins the day, it's just violence against the real bad monster instead of the big fluffy good monster.

...and I have just given this movie more thought than the makers likely gave it because it is very dumb and rather tasteless but it doesn't matter because Kong is god and sometimes I feel like giant monsters are the only thing that makes sense anymore.

In conclusion, Vietnam kitsch is weird but the creature design is better than Godzilla and I could watch John Goodman in literally anything.

Cf. Pacific Rim