Le Samouraï

Le Samouraï ★★★★

International superstar Alain Delon as Jef, an assassin whose world is turned upside down when a routine hit gets a tad bit tricky in this Jean-Pierre Melville crime drama. Chirping birds. The way Alain Delon looks wearing his raincoat and top hat. Barking doggie. Plate switcheroo. French hottie. Perfect alibi. High-stakes poker. Fuck the Surgeon General! Smoking is cool. Quick Draw Jef. Michael Jackson's white glove? Police harassment. Usual Suspects-esque moment. Hat game. Identity game. Alain's eyes. Sunny day rain. Subway escape. Stairway walk. Does Alain ever take his hands out of his pockets? Double-cross. Hat rack. Sexy piano playin' vixen. High-tech security system. A breaking and entering straight outta Le Cercle Rouge. Tricky coppers. Swivel chair. Shattered glass. The way Alain stares at your ass. Badass intimidation. A shitload of keys. Fuck talking when shooting a motherfucker will do the trick. Hat check chic. Ominous warning. Gotcha motherfucker! Silent but deadly like the Gos in Drive or the Driver in Driver, Delon is a bad motherfucker. Le Samouraï is Ghost Dog without Ghost Dog, Samurai swords, or The Wu-Tang Clan. I'm a fan of Melville and this ranks up there with Le Doulos as one of my favorites. I'm a Delon fan too. He has his Purple Noon swag in this film for sure. He carries the film with his actions and not his words. Like I've said earlier in the review Alain Delon is a bad motherfucker. He's almost as badass as Timothy Olyphant's character in Go and Park Chang-yi from The Good, The Bad, The Weird. But the more I think about it the more I realize no one is as badass as those two motherfuckers. Recommended for sure.

Todd Gaines liked these reviews