Sorcerer ★★★★½

As a fan of macho movies, I was completely floored by William Friedkin's Sorcerer. It's a story of desperate men doing desperate things set in a desperate situation.

Who needs a bunch of dialogue when you have savage macho men driving and working on big trucks? The trucks, if driven wrong, will blow up. You're driving a truck in the jungle, it's raining, there's no paved roads, trees are down everywhere and the bridges look like they're about to fall down. The scenes on the bridge would give the healthiest of hearts, a sudden heart attack. It's so tense, I'm certain I forgot to breathe. Add in the perfect mood music by Tangerine Dream, and Sorcerer is one of the most tense thrill rides in cinematic history.

All of the main characters are criminals. A radical extreme terrorist, a stone cold killer assassin, an embezzling businessman and a low-level Irish gangsta who shot the wrong priest. There's no heroes in this wild bunch. But, you're still very interested in the outcome. I do believe it's too obvious who will live and who will die, but it's not a major fault. I'm a Roy Scheider fan, so I enjoyed the hell outta his role as the most unlikely person to have the name of Juan Dominguez. All the other leads: Bruno Cremer, Francisco Rabal and the artist known as Amidou are all worthy of high praise.

Sorcerer should suck you in from the opening scene. You need to pay close attention, the entire time. If your mind tends to wonder, you might not enjoy the movie as much as I did. The jungle is a jungle, and the sound is unreal. Friedkin and his crew put on a clinic on how to film a film. I waited a long time to finally watch this masterpiece, and one day, I'll watch Wages of Fear. So close to a perfect score, perhaps it will earn an extra half-star on a future view?

Highly recommended!