One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ★★★★★

Film Club

One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest is a masterpiece. The dynamic between our two leads makes the movie. Nurse Ratched is one of the greatest villains of all time. Her character represents evil and order despite being far more complex than that and the performance Louise Fletcher gives is out of this world. Truly oscar-worthy. Her opposite McMurphy is just as complex. He’s definitely not a hero but what he does for the other characters causes us to root for his chaos. For example when he first arrives at the institute we see the characters being provoked by Ratched and getting into intense arguments with one another where as later on when McMurphey is (attempting) to run the show we see the characters getting along. I genuinely believe he begins to care for his peers. Like with Nurse Ratched a lot of what makes his character work so great is the performance; Jack Nicholson gives one of my favourite performances of all time.

It’s important to mention the supporting cast as well though because they are all wonderful. Each character is memoriable and adds something to the film. It was great seeing early performances from such great actors as: Christopher Lloyd, Danny De Vito and Brad Dourif. But my favourite supporting character by far is Chief. We don’t know a lot about him but what we do know is tragic. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing him throw the fountain through the window and escape into the distance.

All of these characters come together and create so many incredible, unforgettable and well-written scenes. Overall the screenplay is just magnificent.

Milos Forman is an amazing director and his direction here is perfect. The cinematography, score and editing are used perfectly to create an atmosphere that we actually feel, placing the audience into the film.

This film is one of my absolute favourites and I love every second of it. Make sure to check it out if you haven’t seen it and also join our film club to be introduced to tons of other great films like this one.

alex todd 🧟‍♂️ liked these reviews