Parasite ★★★★★

Letterboxd Season Challenge 19-20
2019 Ranked

Palme D’or winner Parasite is by far the best film of the year so far and the only film that might be able to top it is The Lighthouse. This film does what so many of my absolute favourites do and that’s blending extreme intensity with hilarious dark humour. There are moments that have your heart racing as fast as lightning but then 2 minutes they’ll be a scene where you can’t help laugh.

From the very start this film hooks you in and keeps you guessing the whole way through. However it’s not just a nail-biting thriller, this film has so much to say about the lower and upper classes. Our protagonists, a lower class poor family, are conniving and cruel yet we root for them because of their intellect and the fact that we can get behind their struggles. Opposed to the rich family, whose house they sneakily earn work in, who are far more laid back and oblivious but nevertheless they show contempt for others they consider below them.

As well as all if this technically this film is perfect. The stunning cinematography conveys emotion tremendously and is just a feast for the eyes (I wish I saw this in cinemas). The tight editing wastes no time and the pacing is as perfect as it could be.

Bong Joon Ho knows how to direct a film and this is easily one of his best efforts. I can’t wait for more people to see this; I genuinely think this movie is impossible not to like.

alex todd 🧟‍♂️ liked these reviews