Whiplash

Whiplash ★★★★★

Scavenger Hunt #53

Whiplash is a masterpiece.
It’s one of the most intense, stressful films I’ve ever seen. Everything from JK Simmons’ intimidating abuse to the scarlet red blood dripping from the hands of our determined protagonist to the sweat trickling from his drenched hair is straight-up brutal. The opening and closing scenes are some of most stressful yet greatest experiences I’ve had watching a film.

Our two leads are both extremely fascinating on their own but the conflict between them is portrayed perfectly. Miles Teller’s Andrew Neiman is passionate and persistent but he is also selfish and entitled. This causes friction between him and Terrence Fletcher’s strict, drill sargeant-like approach.

As well written as these characters may be, they’d be nothing without the phenomenal performances Jk Simmons and Miles Teller give. JK Simmons’ performance is reminiscent of R. Lee Ermey’s amazing performance in Full Metal Jacket, which is very high praise. Truly oscar-worthy.

I couldn’t write a review for Whiplash without mentioning the mesmerising music; the jazz songs chosen were all terrific. The editing and sound editing/mixing were absolutely mind-blowing. In addition to this Miles Teller’s ability to play the drums made all of his music scenes incredibly believable. All of the above, along with the stunning cinematography, are used on multiple occasions to add an insane amount of intensity.

I conclud by saying what most of you probably already know, Whiplash is one of the best films of the decade - maybe all-time.

alex todd 🧟‍♂️ liked these reviews