Judas and the Black Messiah

Judas and the Black Messiah ★★★★½

Watched for my Black History Month Challenge
Using this list as a guide: Black Life on Film

"Where there's people, there's power."

I was lucky enough to be able to catch a screening at my local theater with my guy Sanchez (quick shoutout to him for paying for my ticket, by the way, I appreciate that) and it marked the first time I've been able to be back at a theater in a year and a half. I must say, this was a great film to start the gradual return of going to the theater with my boi tho. When it ended, me and Sanchez both agreed that this one was meant to be marinated with for a long while after it's over.

Fred Hampton was one of the few people who I felt had one of the strongest and most powerful convictions I have ever seen and it became too clear to me why he often spoke with that unrelenting vigor. He was someone who had devoted his life for the cause, to uproot the deeply entrenched racial oppression and fight however he could to serve justice even if it meant his life. And as what ultimately happened to Malcolm, and Dr. King, Hampton also faced the same tragic end at only 21 years old. Makes me hella pissed off 😡
Imma be real wit you tho, might've been cause I was sleep-deprived but I had a hard time finishing this cause whenever Martin Sheen or Jesse Plemons pop up, the flow that it had going just stops dead in it's tracks. Other than that, everything with the BPP is really superb (I will certainly look more into the BPP becaus of this, even tho I probably should have already done so) and the cinematography by Sean Bobbitt is razor-sharp.

I'll be fuming at the Academy if Lakeith and Kaluyya get snubbed this year (those dudes are just barely getting out of their comfort zone for giving recognition where it should be given and it also makes me heated). Most definitely one I'll have to revisit soon.

Tommy liked these reviews