The Favourite

The Favourite ★★★★★

This movie is amazing but I had the biggest realization about halfway through and I feel like an idiot. I'm sure someone has written a huge article covering this, but I've been watching Yorgos Lanthimos movies for about 3 years now and this was the first time I realized they are all about rivalry.

Dogtooth and The Killing of a Sacred Deer feature really intense rivalries between siblings fighting for their parents' love or approval. They both have very dark undertones and escalate to graphic, physical violence. The main concept of The Lobster pits a group of single people together fighting for partners, and, eventually, fighting for survival. And Alps (my low-key favorite Yorgos movie) has that same kind of siblings fighting for parents love vibe, put subverted in the strangest way possible.

In this movie the rivalry is pretty obvious and I guess that's why it finally clicked with me. I love Yorgos and now that I have a theme that connects all of his work (besides dark comedy and absurdity) I'm really interested in rewatching his other movies to see what else I can notice.

Jacob liked these reviews