Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★½

Scary. Throughout this film, I kept thinking of all the times I went to band practice without wearing ear plugs. I struggled to keep up the tempo when I wore them. That's why I definitely never used them during live shows. One time we played a local bar that was so tiny that we were literally stationed right next to the drum kit without being able to move. I remember my hearing didn't fully recover until a week later, and during that time I was so scared of having tinnitus.

It also made me think about how carelessly I use my earbuds to listen to music daily, the volume all the way to 11 on my phone. What the main character goes through in this film, it can happen to anyone, when you least expect it. Take care of your hearing. It can go away forever.

But that's not the point of the film. It doesn't present deafness as an handicap, nor should it. There's nothing to fix, but the mind. It's a film about learning to survive, not the deafness, but the mental strain it brought with it. Learn to love the way you are. The solution is not to get back what you once had, but make the most of what you were given.

Beautiful sound design and mixing. Riz Ahmed commits to the role and delivers a layered performance, but it's really Paul Raci who brings it all home. Watch this film, it's an important one.

Tom liked these reviews