Victoria

Victoria ★★★★½

Victoria is, quite simply put, one of the most impressive cinematic feats I've ever seen.

I'm aware it has been done before, but this is the first time I experienced something like this. I am beyond speechless. I still don't know how the hell Sebastian Schipper did it. He filmed this entire fucking film in one take. ONE TAKE!

I can picture myself attempting to do this and falling flat on my face. Two hours and fifteen minutes, constantly rolling, without a single mistake. Actually, the lead actress apparently forgot where to drive to an hour and a half into the film, but all turned out okay in the end.

How can someone achieve this? I mean, I still can't figure it out. And it's not just filming this entire thing in one take that's impressive - the fact that there isn't a single moment in the film where it drags is amazing. There are quite a few scenes that are really emotionally powerful as well, with Laia Costa delivering a great breakthrough performance as the title character (she and Frederick Lau have great chemistry). The other characters are pretty likeable as well, even if some of them are a bit despicable and they're all quite dumb, and the actors' improvised dialogue works marvelously.

My only gripe with the film apart from the characters being dumb is the whole reason why there's a final act. Not to delve into spoiler territory, and it might even be due to the characters' aforementioned lack of proper intelligence, but I feel like there's some stuff that just came out of nowhere and it didn't make much sense in my head.

Victoria might not be a perfect film, but it undoubtedly makes cinema history. The plot's much more interesting than I thought it would be, but it has its limitations and some stuff comes a bit out of nowhere. Still, director Sebastian Schipper handles the story's tonal shifts pretty well, creating what is essentially one of the most impressive technical feats I've ever seen, all while dealing with an extremely low budget.

Tom liked these reviews