Scream ★★★★½

This could possibly sound weird to some, but Wes Craven’s Scream is one of my go to feel good movies. I didn’t know that it was until today, but as the outside world just keeps getting worse, ultimately today I couldn’t think of a better way to spend being locked up inside than by rewatching the Scream franchise, starting with one of the best goddamn slasher movies of all time. Halloween might just barely beat it, but second place isn’t anything to scoff at. Why do I appreciate this film so much? Let’s start by considering that Wes Craven almost definitely pulls in the best directing job of his already fantastic career with this film. His touch behind the camera adds so much, allowing for both the comedy and horror aspects of the film to take the forefront. I genuinely think it should be impossible to mix those two genres as well as Scream does, but lo and behold I guess Wes Craven figured out the key. Scenes like the opening and the camera delay scene perfectly exemplify his masterful talent as a horror director, but basically every scene with Matthew Lillard’s character exemplify how funny he can be. All culminating in a fantastic last fifteen minutes that bring it all home spectacularly.

Oh, and let’s talk about Matthew fucking Lillard. He does every line reading like it’s the most important thing he’s ever done, and I even call one of his line reads one of my favorites in cinema history. I can’t exactly say it without spoiling the movie, but if you’re curious and you have my Twitter I’ll tell you, assuming of course you don’t already know. But in fact, every character here is perfectly casted. Hats off to the casting director, being able to get Matthew Lillard, David Arquette, Skeet Ulrich, Jamie Kennedy and so, so much more (I only listed my absolute favorites in the cast, even though most of them are incredible) giving the film one hundred percent of their love and care. Their efforts were well worth it, at least in my case, because their performances all added a lot to the film’s quality as well. Kevin Williamson’s script is also noteworthy, although it’s perhaps the weakest part of the film. This shouldn’t be regarded as a huge insult, I still fucking love the writing, but I feel like the amount of horror title drops and such get to be a bit much. Some of them feel natural but some of them feel forced—though I’m glad to say most of them fall into the former category. Absolutely excellent film, and I’m glad I can finally appreciate it as much as I wish I was able to the first few times I watched it. Hopefully the rest of the series holds up as well.