Ritual

Ritual ★★★★½

If I have any glaring drawbacks as a reviewer, it's that I often let my own emotional response to a movie inform my overall opinion of that film. While there's nothing inherently wrong with that, I think it's helpful to approach reviews with some degree of objectivity. This is one of those films for me. I've been sitting with this movie for the better part of a week trying to find the words to describe my adoration for it. A film that I not only felt with every fiber of my being, but one that managed to mirror my own experience with Mental Illness. Although deceptively simple, Ritual is in fact an achingly honest rumination on abandonment, loneliness, Depression, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder—told with a humility that reduces me to tears at the mere thought of it. Maybe at some point I'll be able to collect my thoughts in a coherent way, but for now I'll just continue to champion and praise this absolutely underseen gem of a film. A movie that joined my pantheon of favorite films of all time.

TonyCharles90 liked these reviews