Fade to Black

Fade to Black ★★★★½

Listen, I related to the main character of this way too much. WAY TOO MUCH. I mean, aside from the psychotic tendencies, of course. Well, most of them, anyway.

A movie-obsessed outsider lands a dream date with a Marilyn Monroe lookalike but, when she stands him up, he snaps and begins living as the characters in his favorite movies. The first time I watched this, I enjoyed it but didn’t think it was anything amazing. This time I absolutely loved it. Maybe I’ve just grown into it? There’s a scene where the lead character awkwardly shouts out some obscure movie trivia that nobody cares about and it’s just me AF.

It’s kind of difficult to classify the sub-genre this fits into. There are slasher elements but it’s also a psychological horror with some really dark humor. Plus, it’s pretty bananas so I’m really not sure. Whatever it is, it’s great.

There are a lot of wonderful scenes here, a couple of effectively uncomfortable ones, and one truly great one of a cocaine-fueled harmonica slam. I love all of the famous characters the guy “becomes”. Dennis Christopher gives an amazing performance.

I notice that opinions seem to be pretty split about this one but, I gotta say, it works incredibly well for me. Highly rewatchable!

1313: Tony liked these reviews