Ghosts of Mars ★★★★

A 2.3 average rating?! Y’all some haters up here on Letterboxd and I just don’t get it because I love this dumbass movie! I’m also very heavily medicated so forgive me for name calling an entire community and also for the very real possibility that nothing I’m about to say will make any sense.

I just got over a stomach flu last month and now I have the actual flu so I’m laid up in bed wondering what I did to deserve this much ickiness. Really, I’ve never been as sick in my whole life as I have been this winter and I’m so over it. I don’t want to watch anything new because I’m in and out of consciousness so it’s mindless fun comfort movies only and this one totally fits the bill. It may have a great cast and decent budget, but this is a B-movie at heart and perhaps that’s why I’ve always enjoyed it. It’s silly and ridiculous and it knows that and that’s part of what makes it so much fun. Leave it to John Carpenter to come up with a western set on Mars, right? The cast is phenomenal. Basically, any movie that has Pam Grier AND Joanna Cassidy literally cannot be bad in my book. Jason Statham’s character is pretty gross and irritating, but hey you’ve got Ice Cube, Natasha Henstridge, and Clea DuVall to offset that so I’m not complaining.

I know it has its share of problems, but it’s such a good time I just don’t care. Besides, JC can really do no wrong in my book. Also, that final cheesy exchange between Ice and Natasha always makes me a little giddy and I’m not sorry. I’m also pretty sure all that Theraflu made me extra giddy in a fever dream kinda way.

Tony liked these reviews