Howling III: The Marsupials

Howling III: The Marsupials ★★★½

I am really glad I committed to rewatching all of the Howling sequels because I kinda loved this one and I’m really not sure if I ever saw it before. If I did, I certainly don’t remember it. I skipped part 2 for now because I’ll have to wait for it to be delivered. The rest are available through Prime...which I also didn’t realize until now so score for me!

The story in this one is about a werewolf girl from an Australian village escapes and goes to the big city only to fall in love become pregnant after mating with a human. There is actually much more to it but that’s the abbreviated version to just give you an idea of what you’re getting into. Also, because this truly is some Ozploitation at its finest, these aren’t your regular werewolves. No, no, no. These are werewolf/kangaroo hybrids complete with a pouch! It’s just as batshit crazy as it sounds and I am here for it!

This one strays from all of the other entries in that it’s an intentional comedy horror (whereas Howling: New Moon Rising is a completely unintentional comedy disaster) and there are some very amusing scenes here. The thought of a comedy horror Howling sequel doesn’t really bode well, but I’m telling you, it works in a truly bizarre way...which is fine because this is a truly bizarre movie.

The special effects are nowhere near the level of the original but they’re campy fun and they worked for this kind of story. There were some fun gross-out effects that are always welcome in my book. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen any of the actors in this before but they all do fine. Plus, there’s a cameo by DAME EDNA towards the end so that scored some bonus points for sure. Probably my only compliant about this one is that it starts to drag some in the last third, right before it gets to the end. At least it seemed to. Honestly, I was trying to make a handwritten grocery list (yes, handwritten, don’t question me) and that distracted me but I think it was because the movie kinda shifted from being from being batshit crazy to heartwarming family drama before shifting back to batshit crazy and I was just like...whatever. Were it not for that, this would be a solid 4-star affair and maybe on a rewatch it will become just that.

Overall, this is a surprisingly underrated and overlooked sequel that I’m glad I (re)discovered. Recommended for comedy horror fans, Ozploitation fanatics, lovers of off-the-wall movies, and werewolf enthusiasts. It’s really much better than I ever expected it to be.

Block or Report