Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

I’ve got a cold and wanted to watch something that wasn’t too intense so go figure I ended up choosing this because it’s basically the exact opposite of what I was looking for, except it kinda worked out well because when I’m not feeling well I like to seclude myself and just get lost in something and let me tell you: I get lost in this movie like almost no other. I’ve never seen this with anyone else and honestly, I doubt I ever will because I can’t even explain the degree to which I completely lose myself in this Lynchian world and maybe I’m incredibly selfish, but the thought of watching it with anyone else, even the love of my life, who might cough or something and possibly pull me out of this perfect blend of dream and nightmare simply wouldn’t ever do.

There’s absolutely nothing I can say about this peak work of art that hasn’t been said and said much better, so I’ll just rattle off a few thoughts of my own...

The first time I saw this was when I was in college. I had only been out for a few years and I was reaching the point where the idea of a true love was more appealing to me than just slutting it up all the time. So during the first half of this movie, I was so happy living in that dream world of Betty and Rita and their adorable meeting, friendship, sleuthing, and eventual love. When Betty pulled out that box, I knew everything was going to change and I sooooo did not want it to. I just wanted to see them happy together in their own little world with nobody else around because that’s what I wanted as well (who doesn’t right) and when you find that love, there actually is a period where that world exists, but eventually the box gets opened and reality comes flooding in. It doesn’t have to be bad of course but it’s reality and not nearly as beautiful. Everybody should get to live in that world for a little while, even if it’s only in a dream and that’s how I see the first part of this movie.

The scene behind the diner is one of the scariest things I have ever seen caught on camera and that’s just all there is to it. Even inside the diner, there is such a heavy sense of foreboding when he’s telling that story that I start to get scared and I’m honestly not even sure exactly how Lynch manages to pump up the dread so strongly with just a guy telling a story over cheap coffee, but he does and boy does he.

Forget all the rest, this is the greatest story of devastated Hollywood dreams that has ever been told.

Laura Harring is a goddess.

Naomi Watts deserved every single award for her performance. If I had never seen her in any scene except that one where she imagines/hallucinates seeing Camilla back in her living room, there is nothing that would convince me she wasn’t a wronged love torn lesbian on the verge of a breakdown all the time.

A few months ago, I was having trouble deciding if this or Lost Highway was my favorite Lynch film and what was I thinking?! Of course it’s this one. I mean, that one is definitely more horror adjacent and I love it for that, but this one is the film that all his other films bow down to.

Tony liked these reviews