The Blackcoat's Daughter ★★★★★

The first time I watched this, I rated it 4 stars but naw...this is a 5 star movie right here. It’s one of the greatest examples of genuine slow burn dread that I have ever seen and kids, it is terrifying. Both times I watched this I was completely alone (except for Oscar of course duh) and I had all the lights off and I am 100% convinced that it’s the only way to watch this and truly appreciate it.

The atmosphere is so dreary and heavy that you can practically feel that cold winter air and the girls school, hotel, and dark empty road settings all remind me of places I’ve been before. Both times I’ve watched this I’ve loved it, but the first time I definitely loved it mostly for that great atmos because I was a bit confused by the story. I’m not sure if I was just in a better mindset tonight (probably) or if it was all the little things I noticed this time, but everything completely fell into place and made sense hence the higher rating.

I can’t wait to revisit this in the middle of winter on a cold, snowy night (perhaps in February) because just like this movie, I’m not quite right.

Tony liked these reviews