The Blair Witch Project

The Blair Witch Project ★★★★★

I adore this movie and listen, you can say whatever you want about it, but it singlehandedly started an entire subgenre of horror film so even if you don’t like it, you kinda have to respect that shit.

I remember when this first came out and it was all anyone was talking about. The marketing campaign was everywhere and people really were buying it. I knew it wasn’t real but dammit I wanted to believe too and so, in a way, I did and hopped on that hype train for a fun ride. I never got a chance to see it in theaters, but shortly after it came out, I was at a friend’s house for the weekend. He was going out with some mutual friends and I wasn’t in the mood to go so he suggested I watch BWP while they were out and that sounded like a great idea to me. My friend was quite well off so his house was big and open with plenty of windows. I sat in the den, wrapped in a blanket, watching this movie while the wind howled outside and I got scared. I’m talking about the kind of scared I had not felt since I was a kid. The people on the screen kept getting more and more lost in those woods and when I looked outside, all I could see were woods and by that final scene I was literally shaking long before “shaking” was ever a thing in pop culture. This movie was some OG shook y’all for real. It all just seemed so damn real that, even though I knew it wasn’t, it was really easy to let myself believe it was.

My friend came back shortly after I finished the movie and he swears he didn’t go out on purpose so I would watch it by myself but I think he probably did because he thought it would be funny except the jokes on him because I am legit crazy and I looooove experiences like that so thanks friend for giving me one of my fondest horror memories.

Tony liked these reviews