The Gate ★★★★

I had pretty much completely forgotten about this movie and I don’t know how because it’s a lot of fun!

Undoubtedly inspired by Poltergeist, this “kid-friendly” horror movie is about a group of youngsters who accidentally unleash a horde of demons from a hole in the backyard of their suburban home. I say it’s “kid-friendly” because it’s rated PG-13 and there really isn’t anything horribly inappropriate in content. That’s not to say it doesn’t have some great scary parts. In fact, had I seen this as a kid, it probably would have traumatized me. And I would have secretly loved it.

The special effects are pretty great given the year this was made. The little demon minions are truly awesome. The young cast does a good job even if Jennifer Irwin is criminally underused in her role as a bratty teenager.

This is a wonderful movie for anyone who loves horror but doesn’t care for blood, guts, sex, etc. it’s got some great atmosphere and fun, tense sequences. I’m having a hard time deciding whether to give this 3.5 or 4 stars and my OCD is making it seem like the single most important decision I have ever made, so I’m just going to go ahead and give it 4. Kid me totally would have and, with this one, that’s what really matters.

Tony liked these reviews