Don't Look Up

Don't Look Up

It's whatever. The saddest thing is that it does have a beating heart that gets completely bulldozed by ego. There are these touching moments our protagonists get to have, which I found genuinely affecting, but the rest of the movie is too busy spreading itself thin. It takes the compelling frustration of "Why isn't anyone doing anything about this?" and turns it into the broadest possible late-series Veep satire.

The idea of Leo's arc is interesting, and he's a fantastic actor duh, but the movie tries to take down so many establishments that it fails to connect it back to him or J-Law or anything truly central. A $75M (+marketing budget) vent session. The Network pastiche it culminates into makes me wonder, "Man, if I rewatched Network, would it be worse than I remember?". And everything around how Mark Rylance is deployed is such a bummer.

The White House stuff sucks so bad. I'm not a scholar on what is or isn't satire, but making only the film's mouthpieces recognizably human and rendering the villains as caricatures isn't doing its sense of cohesion any favors. It's one thing to be loud, and it's another to be so out of tune.

Udoy liked these reviews