Beetlejuice ★★★★½

I'm not sure how many times I've seen Beetlejuice over the years, but I would conservatively guess about a dozen, spread across VHS, DVD, TV broadcast, streaming and a theatrical exhibition a few years ago. I took my nephew to that midnight screening, but my niece was too young for such an outing at the time. It was fun to introduce her to it. It gets funnier each time, and I find new things to appreciate every time I see it. This time, the bit that cracked me up most was Michael Keaton's deadpan delivery of his qualifications:

Ah. Well, I attended Julliard. I'm a graduate of Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that, and I've seen The Exorcist about a 167 times and it keeps getting funnier every single time I see it! Not to mention the fact you're talking to a dead guy. Now, what do you think? You think I'm "qualified"?

I've always loved that bit, but it struck me as particularly brilliant this time for some reason.

My niece:

+It was creepy once u got into the movie because of all the monsters in stuff. But then I got used to it that it didn't bother me any more so yeah. There were creepy parts and there were funny. There were a couple nasty parts so yeah that's as much as I can think of for now..........BYE

Beetlejuice Re-Ranked on My Flickchart (#251/1590)

Beetlejuice > The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad --> #251
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad is no match for Beetlejuice.

Beetlejuice > Barbershop --> #251
Barbershop is as thoughtful as it is entertaining, but there's no shame in losing to Beetlejuice.

Beetlejuice > Les enfants terribles --> #199
The escalating frenzy of Les enfants terribles makes it compelling from start to finish, but the other movie here is Beetlejuice.

Beetlejuice < The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers --> #199
I'd pick Beetlejuice over the other LOTR movies, but I can't quite bring myself to pick it over The Two Towers.

Beetlejuice > Dude, Where's My Car? --> #148
I love that every little thing in Dude, Where's My Car? has a payoff, but I'm put off by the portrayal of the trans character. Even without that, though, I still couldn't pick it over the brilliance of Beetlejuice.

Beetlejuice > The Incredibles --> #148
The Incredibles has the better finale, more heart, and is sure to age better. Sorry, Beetlejuice!

Beetlejuice > The Break-Up --> #135
I love that The Break-Up refused to compromise and give us a typical romcom resolution, and Aniston gave a wonderful performance in it, but I can't pick it over Beetlejuice.

Beetlejuice > The Rock --> #129
The Rock is more satisfying, but I care more about Beetlejuice.

Beetlejuice > Field of Dreams --> #126
Why was there no mash-up parody of these two? That would have been brilliant! Heartwarming and personal as Field of Dreams is, Beetlejuice is so imaginative and entertaining that I have to pick it here.

Beetlejuice < Alice in Wonderland (1951) --> #126
I adore both of these. The music is better in Beetlejuice, but Alice in Wonderland has aged a lot better.

Beetlejuice was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #126/1590