Big Hero 6 ★★★½

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? and The Incredibles had a baby, and it is Big Hero 6. I could practically hear the antagonist say near the end of the movie, "...and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids and that robot." I don't mean any of this in a negative light whatsoever; Scooby-Doo cartoons were a favorite thing of my childhood, and I hold The Incredibles in high esteem.

The animation is as good as anything I've ever seen, particularly the action sequences, which have all the kinetic energy of a live action production - something where animation has traditionally fallen short. It was bound to happen, of course, since most of the action in live-action movies these days is created with CGI anyway. Setting aside the forest battle in Revenge of The Fallen, I would say that the action in Big Hero 6 is at least as exciting, if not more than, anything I've seen in the Transformers movies.

Henry Jackman's score is pitch-perfect, especially the exhilarating "First Flight" (the music playing when Baymax and Hiro test the former's new rocket thrusters). I began to wonder if this was a Michael Giacchino score, and that's high praise coming from me, as I've found his work among the most satisfying of any of his contemporaries. Big Hero 6 put Jackman on my radar and I hope to hear more from this talented guy soon.

The characters are likable, to the point that when I left the theater I did find myself wondering about their other, future adventures. I could easily be talked into reading or watching more stories featuring these characters. I particularly liked Honey Lemon. I've come to really enjoy exuberance in people, whether in real life or in works of fiction.

Where I ding the movie is the thinness of its narrative. I had hoped to be surprised at some point, but that never happened. The entire story was predictable, right down to Baymax's sacrifice and resurrection. (You can't stress that the character can only shut down once his patient has expressed satisfaction with the care he gave without it setting off the alarm that Hiro is going to have to later give make that statement while not wanting to do it.) Still, the audience reaction was strong; I heard several people behind me openly weeping, and they didn't sound to be just the children. I tip my hat to any movie that make an audience react so viscerally!

I also salute the film's humor, which was never crude or risqué. Baymax's low battery drunkenness was a bit bizarre, but it could just as easily be interpreted as being slap happy as inebriated. It drew a lot of laughs, including from my friends and, I readily admit, me. I may not have outright fallen in love with Big Hero 6, but I certainly enjoyed it!

How Big Hero 6 Entered My Flickchart