Charade ★★★★★

Audrey Hepburn. A caper flick. Walter Matthau. Paris. Audrey Hepburn. Stolen gold. Audrey Hepburn. Aliases. Murders. Audrey Hepburn.

Charade is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen all year, up there with Hopscotch (which starred Matthau) and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Pure fun from start to finish, and I have to confess that while I'd sussed out who the villain was, I never did work out what became of the money. I had it down to having to do with the unsent letter, but I kept waiting for it to lead to Reggie's rescheduled dentist appointment.

When a mystery can actually keep me from figuring out something without resorting to withholding information until the very last moment, I'm a happy viewer. All the evidence was right there all along, but the story moves at such a brisk clip, bouncing from plot twist to entertaining, sometimes outright zany, levity and terrific banter between Hepburn and Cary Grant that I lost track of what I was trying to solve.

My only real complaint is that the film loses sight of Inspector Edouard Grandpierre (Jacques Marin), who was initially posited as the guy who was going to get to the bottom of the whole affair. I can appreciate why Reggie stonewalled him after she learned what was going on, but his absence in Act III was conspicuous.

Still...Audrey Hepburn!

Charade < Batman & Robin → #100
Charade < Diamonds Are Forever → #100
Charade < Sideways → #100

Charade entered my Flickchart at #100/1711

[Yes, I really do have Batman & Robin that high on my Flickchart. I can't help it. I want to hate it, I really do, but I have a Stockholm Syndrome relationship with that movie.]