Frankenstein ★★★★★

Audio Commentary with Rudy Behlmer

This is one of two commentary tracks in my library recorded by Rudy Behlmer, the other being Casablanca. Behlmer has a warm, friendly voice and his recitation of what is almost certainly a scripted text is professorial. As we say in the South, there ain't no flies on Behlmer. He never falls into a lull or stammers, speaking at an even tone throughout the film.

The key drawback to Behlmer's commentary is that it's almost entirely independent of the film playing. If you want to just listen to Behlmer and not be bothered to pay attention to the screen, that's pretty doable, but if you're hoping for scene-specific remarks, there are few offered. This means that the film more or less plays as little more than a pretext/background for Behlmer's report on the history of the film's production.

I recall enjoying his Casablanca commentary more than this one, but both are well worth a play. I elected to just watch the film with its commentary track this time since I caught a screening of it just last year in a double feature with Bride of Frankenstein.

Frankenstein Re-Ranked on My Flickchart (#80/1584)

Frankenstein > The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad --> #80
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad is fun and likable, but it's no Frankenstein.

Frankenstein > Summertime --> #80
The one thing Summertime did best was to clearly establish its Venetian setting, whereas Frankenstein never makes clear just when or where it takes place. That aside, this is an easy win for Frankenstein.

Frankenstein > Wedding Crashers --> #80
The Monster crashed Dr. Frankenstein's wedding, and it was awesome. He also crushes the competition here.

Frankenstein > RED --> #80
These two are both fun, but there's nothing in RED that remotely rivals the commanding presence of Karloff as The Monster in Frankenstein.

Frankenstein > Braveheart --> #50
The scale of Braveheart impresses more with each film made in the CGI era, and its story is remarkably grounded in intimate drama. Unfortunately, its opponent here is Frankenstein, which I love, love, love.

Frankenstein < Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country --> #50
I know I should pick Frankenstein here, and I really do love it, but I can't quite bring myself to pick against the movie that made me a Trekker. Star Trek VI is a solid whodunit with relevant socio-political commentary and continues to satisfy 22 years later.

Frankenstein > U-571 --> #36
To be honest, I found U-571 far more suspenseful and unnerving than Frankenstein, but there's something about the latter that's just perfect. It gets the nod.

Frankenstein > Dogtooth --> #30
Dogtooth really got under my skin. It's compelling and makes a hell of an impact. But...Karloff! In the end, The Monster is just too fascinating to lose here.

Frankenstein < Dick Tracy --> #30
I would go to the midnight opening if they ever made Dick Tracy vs. Frankenstein. Karloff is deservedly iconic, but I've loved Dick Tracy longer.

Frankenstein > Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom --> #28
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is both the best Indy movie and my favorite, but much as I love it, I think I have to pick Frankenstein here. Both are terrific, though, and I adore the pair of 'em.

Frankenstein was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #28/1584