Look, Up in the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman ★★★

This is a pretty straightforward, chronologically organized survey of the history of Superman in various media. I'm sure Kevin Spacey was tapped to narrate it since he was also then starring as Lex Luthor in Superman Returns, but even if not for that connection he would have been a terrific choice as narrator. Documentaries about comic book culture often emulate the Batman '66 aesthetic with bouncy music and loud graphics, and it's nice that this one instead acts like a grownup documentary.

As a comic book reader, I would have liked to have seen more attention paid to the various key creators and prolific stories told int he comics over the years, but I can also appreciate that the emphasis is more on Superman in radio, TV, and movies than in his primary medium. That's just a fan wish and not a criticism of the doc itself.

My one criticism would be that after awhile, it becomes monotonous. Each segment is built on the same template, which makes anything you're already familiar with superfluous. The only surprise I found was footage from the Superpup pilot, which I had never seen until this documentary. (That entire pilot was included in Warner's 2010 Blu-ray box set, Superman: Motion Picture Anthology 1978-2006.) Otherwise, only viewers without any working familiarity of Superman's various incarnations will find themselves really learning anything. The rest of us must be content at simply glossing over so many different takes on Superman.

Look, up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman Re-Ranked on My Flickchart (#1272/1629)

Look, up in the Sky! > Betsy's Wedding --> #815
Look, up in the Sky! < Exit Through the Gift Shop --> #637
Look, up in the Sky! < Last Tango in Paris --> #637
Look, up in the Sky! > Fanboys --> #632
Look, up in the Sky! < The Marrying Man --> #632

Look, up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #632/1629