Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol ★★★★½

Having enjoyed going back to the four Christopher Reeve Superman movies all in one night a few months ago, I decided to likewise revisit all four Mission: Impossible flicks in a single night.

By far, the most satisfying Mission: Impossible movie yet. The stakes are high, but personal. Rather than trying to outsmart us, the plot twists come from things going wrong, and that builds and maintains some great suspense. The action sequences are all top-notch, showing us things that we haven't seen quite the same way before. There's Ethan climbing the building in Dubai whose name escapes me right now, the high speed car chase in a sandstorm, and that parking garage finale. Sure, we've seen those things before, but we'd never seen them quite this way. It feels fresh, and that's rare in contemporary action movies.

Kudos to whoever had the idea for everything to go wrong. Everything goes off without a hitch in the first three movies, and it feels realer somehow that they would have so many glitches this time. Like a lot of people, I'm more interested in how people handle things that go awry than I am in seeing flawless executions of textbook plans.

I did miss Ving Rhames's Luther throughout the movie, and Michael Nyqvist's "Cobalt" is the least interesting of the series's antagonists, but otherwise Ghost Protocol is pretty much the perfect Mission: Impossible movie.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol re-ranked on my Flickchart (#96/1620)

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol > National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 --> #96
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol > The World Is Not Enough --> #96