Nurse Betty ★★★

I can't be sure, but I think I first saw Nurse Betty on TV. I liked the premise - traumatized woman snaps and conflates reality with a soap opera - but the real appeal was the chemistry between Morgan Freeman and Chris Rock as the hit men. It's been several years since I last saw the movie, so I was surprised how well it turned out that I remembered it.

The Freeman/Rock scenes are still a lot of fun, but the rest of the movie is disjointed. The premise is stretched pretty thin. There are some pacing issues. But mostly, the chief problem is that the premise is contrived and none of the characters are developed enough to give that contrivance any depth. The problem really is that the crime story parts are played so well that they expose how thin the sitcom parts are. Betty's on-set breakthrough should be one of the high points of the story, but it fails to measure up to the earlier killing of Del.

Incidentally, the DVD features 9 "episodes" of the in-movie soap opera, A Reason to Love. It's a nice touch that they're presented in 4:3 aspect ratio and each segment starts with the opening cast montage (though oddly, there are no "credits"). I wish there was a Play All feature, but even having to watch them one at a time, it's actually a pretty entertaining supplement.

Nurse Betty Was Re-Ranked on My Flickchart to #584/1596