Scorsese on Scorsese ★★½

This TCM doc appears as a bonus feature on the Two-Disc Special Edition DVD of The Departed. Annoyingly, it was not ported over to the Blu-ray Disc release. The title is pretty self-explanatory; Martin Scorsese offers some cursory remarks about selections from his filmography.

Scorsese eschews the rote "He/she was so wonderful to work with" praise that tends to dominate such things. Instead, his comments fall into one of three categories: How his personal experiences are manifest in the film at hand, how the film was part of his evolution as a film maker, or to acknowledge criticism of the film. Spoiler: his response to all criticism is to shrug, "That's me. That was my experience. That's what I saw."

There are no revelations to be found here. In fact, his commentary could best be characterized as blurbs that might function more effectively as introductions to the films themselves rather than as a survey of his career to that point. Casual movie viewers won't be interested in this kind of thing anyway, and I suspect the more dedicated cinephile will find it disappointingly superficial.

How Scorsese on Scorsese Entered My Flickchart