Shaun of the Dead ★★★★★

It's hard to believe this movie is now nine years old. I remember going to see it with some friends during its theatrical run. We laughed on our way into the auditorium about its tagline, "A Romantic Comedy. With Zombies." On our way out of the screening, though, the consensus was that it was the perfect summary of what we'd just seen.

Horror genre purists balk at including Shaun of the Dead in any top lists, and while I can understand that, it seems to deny the sincerity of the film. We're meant to laugh, but we're meant to laugh with the movie; not at it. The dangers are played for real, the most gruesome being David being torn apart. So are the relationships between the characters - which, in turn, makes it all the more upsetting when Barbara dies. It's a moving scene, and Simon Pegg nailed it.

I've remarked on occasion that Shaun of the Dead may well be *the* quintessential film of its decade, and I stand by that. It's the perfect convergence of 00's social anxieties, gaming subculture, class conflict, Gen X/Gen Y adulthood frustrations, geek subculture, pervasive concerns over security, and media so invasive that it became white noise. In another five years from now, I would show Shaun of the Dead to teenagers and say that if they wanted to understand their parents, to study the dynamics of the relationships in this movie.

There aren't a lot of truly perfect movies, but Shaun of the Dead is one of 'em.

Shaun of the Dead Re-Ranked on My Flickchart</ B> (#61/1591)

Shaun of the Dead > Secret Honor --> #61
Secret Honor is intriguing, but seriously flawed. Shaun of the Dead is perfect.

Shaun of the Dead > Far and Away --> #61
I'm glad both of these movies exist, but I think I'm more glad that Shaun of the Dead exists.

Shaun of the Dead > Son of Frankenstein --> #61
I might stop and think about it if this was Bride of Frankenstein, but Son? Easy win for Shaun of the Dead.

Shaun of the Dead > Flashbacks of a Fool --> #61
Daniel Craig and Harry Eden were really good in Flashbacks of a Fool, but not good enough to beat the brilliance that is Shaun of the Dead.

Shaun of the Dead > Star Trek: The Motion Picture --> #50
I've grown to appreciate Star Trek: The Motion Picture in recent years, but not so much that I can bring myself to pick it over Shaun of the Dead.

Shaun of the Dead < Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country --> #50
I can concede that Shaun of the Dead is the more entertaining and more brilliant movie, but it's hard to articulate what Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country means to me.

Shaun of the Dead > Casino Royale --> #36
I loved Daniel Craig's 007 debut, but the ludicrousness of Fleming's bankrupt-the-baddie-through-gambling idea is just silly enough to cost it the win against Shaun of the Dead.

Shaun of the Dead > Frankenstein --> #30
I love both of these, but I love Shaun of the Dead just a tiny bit more.

Shaun of the Dead > Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan --> #27
As a Trekker, this is especially hard for me...but I think I care just a bit more about Shaun of the Dead.

Shaun of the Dead < The Sting --> #27
Two brilliant, perfect movies here. It's tough, but I admire The Sting just a little bit more.

Shaun of the Dead was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #27/1591</ B>