Silent Night, Bloody Night ★★★

I wish I had more to say about this one, but I really just don't. The tropes feel familiar from the teasing prologue onward, the production values are just a step above daytime soap operas, and the payoff in the end feels like an interesting idea the movie didn't quite deliver.

Where the film succeeds, though is with the character of Diane. Mary Woronov's performance is earnest and surprisingly proactive. It's nice to see a female character in a horror movie written with such a level head on her shoulders. I was quite taken with the scene in which Jeffrey Butler (James Patterson) shows up at her home and she holds him at gunpoint until she was satisfied that he was on the level.

The finale is a misstep into cliche, though, in part because of the clumsy attempt to shoehorn in some kind of deep connection between Diane and Jeffrey, and also because of watching her stammer around screaming. I buy that she's overwhelmed and freaked out in that situation, but I don't buy that she runs around from one room to the next before finally doing something. It seems that Woronov's direction from Theodore Gershuny was simply "Run! Scream! Keep going!" and she explored every part of the house set like a hyperactive toddler with absolutely nothing on her mind except running and screaming.

How Silent Night, Bloody Night Entered My Flickchart