So You Want to Be a Detective ★★

Like Hot Cross Bunny, this short is part of the "Warner Night at the Movies" collection included on The Treasure of the Sierra Madre Blu-ray Disc. In his introductory remarks, Leonard Maltin explains that this short was produced on spec and then sold to Warner Bros. I'm sure that accounts for the amateur-level production values. I get the idea and aesthetic, but there's just something about this that feels like it's something that Shake should me making fun of Meatwad for liking.

How So You Want to Be a Detective Entered My Flickchart

So You Want to Be a Detective < Frankenstein vs. the Wolf Man --> #1475
I wanted to like So You Want to Be a Detective more than I actually did like it. Not so, Frankenstein vs. the Wolf Man, which I thoroughly dig.

So You Want to Be a Detective < How Do You Know --> #1475
I like it when a Flickchart match creates a conversation from titles. That's really all there is to like about this duo of clunkers.

So You Want to Be a Detective > Borderland --> #1299
I liked most of the After Dark HorrorFest movies I've seen, but Borderland did nothing for me at all. I'm going with So You Want to Be a Detective despite its shortcomings.

So You Want to Be a Detective > Rush Hour 2 --> #1206
I wanted to like both of these and wound up not really caring for either. So You Want to Be a Detective was the lesser disappointment.

So You Want to Be a Detective < Gladiator --> #1206
I was bored by Gladiator when I saw it during is original theatrical run, but I'd be more interested to give it a second viewing than to revisit So You Want to Be a Detective.

So You Want to Be a Detective < Charlie's Angels --> #1206
Charlie's Angels is a guilty pleasure of mine. It entertained me more than did So You Want to Be a Detective, though I did find the finale of the short film more interesting.

So You Want to Be a Detective > Hot Shots! --> #1194
I cut So You Want to Be a Detective some slack for being a short film produced on spec. I can't really give the same leeway to Hot Shots! The short wins.

So You Want to Be a Detective < In & Out --> #1194
I actually kinda zoned out during several parts of In & Out when I saw it during its theatrical run, but I remember finding it interesting. That's enough for the win here.

So You Want to Be a Detective < The Lion King 1 1/2 --> #1194
I like the ideas behind both of these more than I really care for the execution of either. Going with The Lion King 1 1/2 on account of my pro-Lion King bias.

So You Want to Be a Detective > American Pie 2 --> #1192
I never really cared for the American Pie series at all, though I can't say why that is. So You Want to Be a Detective fell flat for me, but I liked the idea behind it. It squeaks by here.

So You Want to Be a Detective entered my Flickchart at #1192/1483