Star Trek III: The Search for Spock ★★★★

The chief shortcoming of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock is that too much of its plot relies on contrivances that create "Wait, what?" moments. Sarek is adamant that Spock would have requested Kirk reunite his body and his katra...but in a procedure so uncommon that even Vulcans can't remember the last time it was tried except in mythology?

The U.S.S. Grissom reported to Starfleet that they had found Captain Spock's body on Genesis. Why didn't/couldn't Commander Morrow have said, "Tell you what. We'll have Grissom bring Spock's body home and you can do what you need to do to appease the Vulcan ambassador"?

There's also the matter of Uhura. I've never liked that they wrote her out of most of the movie, as if this last hurrah mission was no place for a girl or something. She deserved to be there for the end of the U.S.S. Enterprise.

These things do detract from the quality of the film overall, but not enough to sabotage my enjoyment of it. I didn't tear up at the end of The Wrath of Khan when Spock died, but I admit that I did tear up in this movie during the passage where Kirk and crew stole the Enterprise. What I love perhaps most about the original TV series is the camaraderie between characters (even if it may not have been shared between actors). That is the core of this story, and it's great.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock Re-Ranked on My Flickchart (#94/1591)

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock > The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad --> #94
Star Trek > Disney

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock > Barbershop --> #94
Both are built around camaraderie, and are enjoyable for that reason. I just care more about Kirk & crew.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock > Paris, je t'aime --> #94
Paris, je t'aime is likable, creative, and sweet...but as a Trekker, I'm a big fan of The Search for Spock.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock > The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou --> #
The last time I saw The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, I realized it's basically The Wrath of Khan at sea...which makes it kind of odd that I would pick The Search for Spock over it.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock < Forgetting Sarah Marshall --> #94
Here's where the contrivances of The Search for Spock come back to haunt it. Forgetting Sarah Marshall has fewer, and less conspicuous, ones. It gets the nod.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock > Return of the Jedi --> #74
I love both of these in spite of their admitted flaws. My answer here will fluctuate based on my mood, but right now I favor The Search for Spock.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock < O Brother, Where Art Thou? --> #74
It's funny how contrivances can be a detriment to one movie, but part of the success of another. This one goes to O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock Hot Fuzz --> #
I'm emotionally invested in The Search for Spock, but Hot Fuzz is brilliant. The fact I just re-watched Star Trek III but am waffling here tells me the right answer is Hot Fuzz. Love both, though.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock > Quantum of Solace --> #70
I'm an apologist for both of these, but I care a lot more about The Search for Spock.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock > Wayne's World --> #69
I hate you, Flickchart.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock > Batman (1966) --> #68
I'll always have a soft spot for the Adam West-era Batman show and movie, but this is a decisive win for The Search for Spock.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #68/1591