Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze ★★★½

In my youth, I found The Secret of the Ooze more entertaining than its predecessor. It eschewed things like the ancillary characters of Charles and Danny Pennington, for instance, and focused a lot more directly on just the Turtles and their conflict with the Shredder. I was 12; I just wanted action and wisecracks, you know? This movie more resembled the cartoon that I'd been watching so ardently, and that had a lot to do with its appeal, I'm sure.

Watching it all these years later, though, I see it has all the sophistication of an episode of The Dukes of Hazzard. The plot, such as it is, is pretty thin: Shredder uses the ooze to create anti-Turtle monsters. That's it. Raph goes off on his own (again), which does help advance the story but it doesn't feel as organic here as it does in the first film. This time, he breaks away for the purpose of setting up a Turtle/Foot showdown that the movie needs to come soon, rather than because he has a hard time managing his anger.

Still, the movie does entertain me and make me laugh all these years later, so there's that. "Yeah, a little too Raph!" gets me every time.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze Re-Ranked on My Flickchart (#296/1674)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze > Jurassic Park III → #296
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze > Electric Earthquake → #296
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze < Groundhog Day → #296
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze < Starship Troopers → #314
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze > Circus of Fear → #314
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze < Matchstick Men → #340
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze > Minority Report → #340
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze > Mrs. Henderson Presents → #340
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze > Ferris Bueller's Day Off → #340
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze > Smokey and the Bandit → #340
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze < The Old Dark House → #341

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #341/1674

Travis liked this review