The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood ★½

In my remarks last night about The Dukes of Hazzard Reunion! I noted that what makes that special work is that it didn't embarrass itself by trying to update the series. Unfortunately, that's not the case here. Hazzard in Hollywood takes the fish-out-of-water premise and stretches it into 90 minutes, most of them groan-inducing.

Outside their natural setting, the supporting cast has nothing to do. Rosco is reduced here to a blithering idiot to be mocked by Los Angelinos, and the sad part is he fares better than both Cooter and Cledus - neither of whom are involved at all in the plot despite being present throughout the movie. Even Daisy is largely peripheral this time.

Expectations for a Dukes of Hazzard story are generally fairly low. The plots are generally just enough to get from one set piece or chase scene to the next, but even in their simplicity there's a certain sense to be made from it all. Here, though, the scheme is pretty convoluted. There are just too many bad guys with different agendas, and what's more is that there's no satisfying conclusion with any of them.

Even setting aside all that, the movie is bogged down by an endless parade of country-boys-in-the-city gags that wear thin within the first half hour. There's an attempt at character growth with Luke reflecting on his lost love with Anita Blackwood, but there's something about the black and white montage that feels like the movie is just trying too hard.

The redeeming grace is the romance between Bo and Gabriela. John Schneider and Patricia Manterola have great chemistry together, and it's easy to root for them to get together. Even that, though, isn't as developed as it ought to have been. For instance, there's the fact that Bo is introduced to Gabby after he and Luke saved her brother from a gang attack...and no one says a thing about it after the immediate rescue. At no point on screen do we even see Gabby find out that her younger brother was attacked at all!

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood Re-Ranked on My Flickchart (#583/1464)

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood < The Dukes of Hazzard Reunion! --> #733
Everything that was ever fun or endearing about The Dukes of Hazzard is on display in Reunion! Hazzard in Hollywood is an embarrassment.

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood > The Cowboy and the Lady --> #1099
Both stories rest on the culture shock of good ol' boys getting tangled up with big city woes, but at least The Cowboy and the Lady isn't a convoluted mess.

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood > Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End --> #1099
Both are convoluted and dissatisfying, but at least Hazzard in Hollywood only runs 90 minutes.

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood > The Lost Boys --> #1099
I'm just "meh" about The Lost Boys in general. Hazzard in Hollywood is pretty weak, but at least there's Patricia Manterola to appreciate.

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood < Charlie's Angels --> #1145
Charlie's Angels is something of a guilty pleasure of mine. Oh, Lucy Liu...why are you so irresistible?

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood < The Wonderful Wizard of Oz --> #1167
The early Oz silent films are all fairly bizarre, really. That's part of the fun. At least, they didn't embarrass one of my childhood favorites the way Hazzard in Hollywood did.

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood < Destruction, Inc. --> #1178
There's something kind of neat - if often offensive - about wartime propaganda, particularly Superman. Destruction, Inc. is more a historical curiosity than a Superman short at this point.

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood > Semi-Pro --> #1178
I've been pretty rough on Hazzard in Hollywood, mostly because I love The Dukes of Hazzard. I do not, however, love Semi-Pro so this one goes to the Dukes.

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood > West Side Story --> #1178
Was Hazzard in Hollywood awful? Yes. But I have an innate disliking of musicals so it manages a win here.

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood < Ocean's Twelve --> #1180
Both were disappointing, but there's something about the meta-fiction of Ocean's Twelve that I kinda dig.

The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood was re-ranked to #1180/1464 on my Flickchart