The Nightmare Before Christmas ★★★★

Audio Commentary with Henry Selick, Director, and Pete Kozachik, Director of Photography

I've kept my Special Edition DVD of this movie despite upgrading to the Blu-ray version because for whatever reason, Disney didn't port over this commentary track. I've been meaning to play it since I first got the DVD several years ago, but for one reason or another never got around to it until now.

Like the film itself, the commentary remarks are heavy on the technical side of things but light on the artistic. It's a gorgeous film, and you hear Selick and Kozachik break down just about every single effects shot - where the idea originated, who staged it, how each element operated. What you don't hear much of is discussion about the characters themselves beyond the difficulties of shooting the puppets or how impressive this person's work on that shot was.

I would heartily recommend this commentary track to anyone with an interest in the craft of animation; it's like an abridged textbook of the medium. It's pretty dry, though, and the cycle of "This sequence was shot by [person]. The [effect] that you see was done by [technique]" becomes monotonous. Given that I've got the Blu-ray, and given that this Special Edition DVD is non-anamorphic, I can say I'm glad I finally listened to this commentary but now that I have, I can comfortably part ways with this DVD.

Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas Re-Ranked on My Flickchart (#401/1600)

The Nightmare Before Christmas > Shrek --> #401
The Nightmare Before Christmas > Undercover Brother --> #501
The Nightmare Before Christmas > For a Few Dollars More --> #501
The Nightmare Before Christmas > Despicable Me --> #501
The Nightmare Before Christmas < Superman II --> #502

Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #502/1600