The River ★★★

I decided for this year's DVD Talk Criterion Challenge that I wanted to watch all of one of the celebrity Top 10 lists on their site. After careful consideration, I settled on Martin Scorsese's Top 10. The River is actually third on the list, but I erroneously skipped it and watched Ugetsu instead.

Films like The River vex me. I can appreciate them on a technical level; Scorsese and essayists Alexander Sesonske and Ian Christie all laud how visually spectacular the film looks. Yes, The River is dazzling eye candy.

And yet, though Jean Renoir consciously avoided such exoticism as elephants and tiger safaris, there is an unmistakably paternalistic, colonial perspective throughout the film. This is not India as it was; it's India as remembered by an outsider who came of age there.

As a coming of age story, The River is likable enough, though routine. Patricia Walters as Harriet has some nice scenes, but then there are other scenes that feel lifted directly from an episode of The Brady Bunch. I could practically hear her stomping and yelling, "Valerie, Valerie, Valerie!" after witnessing her rival with Captain John.

The River's great appeal is in its lush creation of a cinematic world, and for those who are content to look at its pretty pictures, I'm sure it's quite satisfying. While I appreciate such elements myself, the absence of any real character development or depth, coupled with the bothersome outsider's view of India detract too much for me.

How The River Entered My Flickchart