TMNT ★★★

I rented TMNT on DVD from Redbox several years ago, but hadn't seen it since. My plan going into tonight was to spend New Year's Eve with pizza and the Turtles. As it turned out, I was exhausted and I don't even know how I managed to stay awake through all of this movie - though I know that I did. It ended just around midnight, and I decided to slink off to bed rather than watch the 2014 Turtles movie as planned. Oh, well.

As for TMNT, I dig the characterizations - particularly what they did with Leonardo, who has traditionally been the dullard of the group. The plot feels more like a combination of Scooby-Doo and Ghostbusters more than TMNT, but whatever; I love those things, too. TMNT fits nicely with the previous three live action films, though I wish more attention had been paid to Michaelangelo's desire to be part of society. That part of his character has always been an easy thing to relate to, but it's given short shrift here.

I don't know if it's the streaming version from VUDU or possibly my own struggle to remain awake, but the movie looked visually very dark to me tonight, so dark that it felt "blah" to look at it in a lot of places, really. Otherwise, though, a solid Turtle adventure and a perfectly fine final movie viewing for my 2014.

TMNT Re-Ranked on My Flickchart (#1026/1674)

TMNT < A Christmas Carol (2009) → #1026