Twister ★★★★½

I covered the basics of Twister in my remarks in 2012, and in truth I picked it tonight because I don't have it in me to even watch a movie that requires attention from me, much less do I have it in me to dissect one analytically. Twister is an old friend at this point and I just needed its company. On some level, I was cognizant of the marriage/divorce/unpredictable weather allegory, but I'm not interested in exploring that right now. Maybe next time.

I also picked it because I hadn't yet watched the Blu-ray Disc and, as a 1996 nominee (Sound and Visual Effects), it's eligible for the DVD Talk Academy Awards Challenge going on right now. It looks and sounds terrific, though I admit that the CGI looked less impressive in HD than it did in SD projected in my friends' back yard. This doesn't affect my adoration for the movie in the least. That not withstanding, the practical effects are all still quite impressive, though it lost Visual Effects to Independence Day and I can get behind that.

I've yet to see The English Patient (though it's on my To-Watch list for this challenge), but I have a hard time accepting that it was more deserving of Sound than Twister. The pervasive weather-related carnage must have been a foley artist's dream. Steve Maslow, Gregg Landaker, Kevin O'Connell and Geoffrey Patterson did some great work here. Of all the aspects of a movie, sound is perhaps the one easiest to take for granted, but in a picture like Twister, sound is a make-or-break element. The movie works in no small part because of the sound design.

Twister Re-Ranked on My Flickchart (#166/1610)

Twister > 50 First Dates --> #166
Twister > Lincoln --> #34
Twister > Dogtooth --> #33
Twister > Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom --> #32

Twister was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #32/1610

1996 Academy Awards (69th)
(N) SOUND -- Steve Maslow, Gregg Landaker, Kevin O'Connell, Geoffrey Patterson
(N) VISUAL EFFECTS -- Stefen Fangmeier, John Frazier, Habib Zargarpour, Henry La Bounta